County Road 86

LOCKS ROAD - Dating to 1910 - Begins at Highway 99 West on the easterly outskirts of Lafayette, and meanders southerly to Locks Park, with a 90° southerly angle in the road at it's intersection with County Road 86S. The locks were constructed using funding approved by Congress in the late 1890's. Part of the pressure for creating the locks came from area farmer’s and merchants who were frustrated with the escalating costs of transporting goods. Steamboats using the locks could bypass the Yamhill Falls near Lafayette and proceed to McMinnville. With the demise of steamboat traffic on our rivers, the locks were used exclusively for log transport until 1963, when the main channel was reopened and the locks dynamited. You’ll find an excellent article on the history of these Locks in Volume 91, Spring and Summer issues of the Oregon Historical Quarterly, 1990.

INDEX - Note: the northerly (E-W running) end of this road was part of an old alignment of Hwy. 99W. Refer to Hwy. 99W data for more information on that portion of Locks Road.

CRS 449 (empty packet) - accepted 4/6/1909 in C.J. 14 pg. 485 - declared 40 ft. wide in Fisk's Subdivision

SCANNED MAPS

R/W COMPILATION MAP - UNDATED