County Road 404

FORT HILL ROAD - dating to 1940, 60 foot in width in those original sections. Begins near Willamina and travels west and south into Polk County. It was named for Fort Yamhill which was named for the Yamhill River. The fort was built in 1856 by the U.S. Army to provide settlers protection from (and to!) the native Americans who had moved onto a nearby reservation. It was abandoned 10 years later.

Additional documents scanned: #1 and #2

SCANNED MAPS:

H.W. Herring Deed descriptions undated

1925 H.W. Herring survey in Section 33, T5, R7

1943 H.W. Herring survey in Section 33, T5, R7