Criminal Justice
Health & Human Svcs.
Community Resources
Economic Development

Victims Information

Assistance is available for victims involved in the Yamhill County Juvenile Court process. Here are some answers to questions you may have about being the victim of a juvenile offense.

What happens to my case if I am a victim of an offense committed by a juvenile?

If the police charge a juvenile with a criminal offense, they will send a report of their investigation to the Juvenile Department in McMinnville. After screening, it will be assigned to a Juvenile Probation Officer who is responsible for meeting with the juvenile and family, reviewing the police report, victim's statement, and youth's prior record (if any), and determining a corrective course of action. If the offender is in detention, a brief custody hearing will take place immediately.

Goals of the Department include providing protection to the community and rehabilitative services to offenders so there is a better chance they will stay out of trouble in the future. Young people are held accountable for their actions by paying restitution, doing community service, apologizing to their victims, participating in counseling, and/or spending time in detention (jail), shelter homes, treatment programs, or the state youth correctional facility.

How can I be compensated for my losses if they resulted from the actions of a juvenile offender?

First, check with your insurance company if you have coverage for personal injury or property damage.

If I have property damage or physical injuries, can the juvenile be required to pay me back?

The Juvenile Department sends information by mail to the victim listed in the police report shortly after the case arrives. This correspondence will do the following:

  • Inform you about your rights as a crime victim under Oregon law
  • Ask you about your costs related to property damage or physical injury, if you would like restitution to be part of sentencing in your case
  • Ask you to comment on your experience as a crime victim so offenders can be made aware of the pain and inconvenience they cause to innocent people
  • Give you general information about the restitution process and alternatives when restitution is not possible. When young people are incapable of paying restitution, their parents may be held responsible for damages If the youth in your case cannot personally pay you back, the Juvenile Department can inform you of his/her name, birth date, parents' names, and address so you can contact them directly or initiate action against them in civil court.

    You may also be entitled to help from the Crime Victims' Compensation Program for assistance with medical bills resulting from violent crimes such as robbery, child abuse, or assault. For more information, call (503) 378-5348, or access their website at https://www.doj.state.or.us/crime-victims/victims-resources/victims-services/compensation-for-victims-of-crime/.

    How can I find out about a case I am involved in?

    Call Victim Assistance at the Juvenile Department, 503.434.7512. If you have any of the following information, it will help them locate your case: the offender's name, the case number and police agency handling your case, or the offense and the date it happened.

    You will be given an update on your case (if it has arrived at the Juvenile Department) and hearing notification (if one has been scheduled). You may also request information about counseling or other victim support services. In most circumstances, you should be able to know the general plan for your case within two to four weeks after it is received by the Juvenile Department.

    The Juvenile Court process is not secret. It is open to the public, and the involvement and participation of victims is especially encouraged.

    How do I get my property returned if it has been recovered by the police?

    Recovered property may be needed as evidence if the case goes to trial. For this reason, the police will not ordinarily release your property back to you until the District Attorney's Office (Juvenile Division) advises them in writing that it is no longer needed. Sometimes it is possible to photograph urgently needed property and then release it before trial -ask the Deputy District Attorney assigned to the Juvenile Division (503.434.7512).

    What if the juvenile offender's attorney or investigator wants to talk to me?

    The juvenile's legal representative is permitted to talk with you if you agree. You have the right to decide whether to do so and may ask that the Deputy District Attorney be present during the conversation, if you prefer.

    What if I am harassed by the juvenile offender while my case is pending?

    Call the police and report the harassment. Then call the Juvenile Department and report it to the probation officer handling your case or to Victim Assistance.

  • © 2000 - 2023 Yamhill County. All rights reserved. Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Yamhill County.
    By visiting this and other Yamhill County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the site.