Criminal Justice
Health & Human Svcs.
Community Resources
Economic Development

Marine Program

The Yamhill County Sheriff's Office Marine Program is responsible for patrolling the waterways of the Willamette River from the Polk County line above Wheatland to Willow Island near Canby (RM 38 - 74), and of the Yamhill River from its confluence with the Willamette to the Locks near Lafayette. The fleet consists of two law enforcement vessels, a 19-foot North River Jet Boat and a 21-foot Boulton Jet Boat, and two PWC units (a Honda and a Kawasaki jet ski).

We focus our efforts on education, enforcement, inspection, and investigation. We provide assistance to boaters on the water, education to groups by request, and enforcement and investigation assistance to YCSO Enforcement and local agencies. The program receives funding from the Oregon State Marine Board and county discretionary funds.

Some of the services we provide to the community are:

  • Public Education
  • Boat Safety Inspections
  • Hull Identification inspections (on request, by appointment)
  • Patrolling the waterways in Yamhill County
  • Assisting agencies with patrol, search and rescue

Looking to purchase an annual pass for Rogers' Landing? Applications are available from the Yamhill County Parks & Recreation's website (https://www.co.yamhill.or.us/content/rogers-landing).

Activity on the River

Yamhill County's area of responsibility encompasses 4 distinct groups in our patrol area (RM 38-74). Typically, wake boarders and sports enthusiasts utilize the river from the mouth of the Yamhill downriver into the Clackamas County patrol area. The area encompassing Ash Island, Rogers Landing, and points upriver is commonly occupied by non-motorized craft and fishing type boats. Upriver at Wheatland, stretching approximately a mile in either direction, is frequented by numerous personal watercraft and occasional high performance craft. The Newberg Pool area, finds water craft of all types.

An interactive boat map can be found at www.boatoregon.com/map.

Mandatory Boater Education

All boaters need to carry a Boater Education Card when operating a powerboat if it's 10hp or greater. To obtain your card, you may:

  1. Take an approved boater education classroom course, proctored equivalency exam, or take the online exam.
  2. Get an application.
  3. Apply for your card.

If you have any boating related questions, want additional boating safety material, or boating information in general, you may contact the Oregon State Marine Board at www.boatoregon.com.

© 2000 - 2023 Yamhill County. All rights reserved. Links to external sites do not constitute endorsements by Yamhill County.
By visiting this and other Yamhill County web pages, you expressly agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of the site.