Section 405.00 - Parks, Recreation, Open Space District (PRO)
[Last amended 7/9/98, Ord. 648]
The purpose of the PRO District is to accommodate the immediate foreseeable demand for
public parks and recreation and open space in designated areas inside or outside urban
growth boundaries to serve local and regional residents needs as identified in the
Comprehensive Plan. The size, character and intensity of development
of park, recreation and open space areas and the performance characteristics of recreation
areas shall be commensurate with the capability of land and water areas to support the
uses intended and shall not result in any unusual service demands on nearby urban centers.
Uses of land and water not compatible with public parks, public recreation and open space
uses, including recreation commercial service facilities, shall be prohibited.
405.02 Permitted Uses
In the PRO district, the following uses shall be permitted subject to the standards and
limitations set forth in subsection 405.07, and pursuant to Section 1101
for site design review:
405.03 Conditional Uses
- Park, recreation area, or open space, publicly or privately owned, operated and maintained and
including hunting and fishing preserves;
- Public campground or picnic site;
- Historical, archaeological, or geological site;
- Public boat-launching and fishing facilities;
- Public bicycle and pedestrian paths or trails systems not within County or public rights-or-way;
- Equestrian paths or trails systems;
- Public playlot, playground, or playfield, including game court, ball diamond, swimming pool and similar uses;
- Public RV park subject to the RV park provisions of Section 1003;
- Golf course, excluding miniature golf;
- Driving range, in conjunction with a golf course;
- Dwelling for caretaker or watchman, in conjunction with a permitted use. Site design review is not required
for the dwelling; [Last amended 7/9/98, Ord. 648]
- Accessory uses;
- Temporary structures as may be required during construction of an authorized
permanent structure. Such temporary structure shall be removed upon final inspection of
the permanent structure by the Building Inspector;
- Operations conducted for the exploration of oil, natural gas or geothermal
resources, subject to the Type A application procedure set forth in
- Community or municipal water supply system;
- Community or municipal sanitary sewer system; and
- Signs, pursuant to the sign provisions set forth in Section 1006.
In the PRO District, pursuant to the Type B application
procedure set forth in Section 1301 and subject to the conditional
use review criteria listed in Section 1202, and subject to Section 1101 for site design review and any other applicable criteria
established by this Ordinance, the following use may be allowed conditionally:
405.04 Similar Uses
- Driving range, not in conjunction with a golf course.
Any use not specifically listed as a permitted or conditional use in this District that
is similar in character, scale and performance to the permitted uses specified in
subsection 405.02, may be allowed as a similar use, subject to the similar use provisions
of Section 1206 and pursuant to the Type A
application procedure set forth in Section 1301.
405.05 Prohibited Uses
Uses of land and water not specifically mentioned in this Section and not allowed as a
similar use, are prohibited in the PRO District.
405.06 Nonconforming uses
Nonconforming uses found in the PRO District are subject to the nonconforming use
provision of Section 1205 as well as any other applicable
provisions of this Ordinance.
405.07 Standards and Limitations
In the PRO District, the following standards and limitations shall apply unless varied
or waived subject to Section 903 for Planned Unit Development:
- Parcel Size and Dimension
The minimum parcel size for any use shall be one (1) acre, except that fifty (50) acres
shall be the minimum parcel size for a golf course.
The minimum setback for all yards shall be thirty (30) feet for all uses, except as
- The minimum setback for signs shall be five (5) feet.
- An accessory structure not more than fifteen (15) feet in height, at least sixty (60)
feet from a road, and at lease ten (10) feet from any dwelling may be located a minimum
distance of three (3) feet from the property line in a side yard or rear yard.
- A swimming pool may be located in a required rear yard, provided it lies a minimum of five
(5) feet from the rear property line.
- Fences, walls and hedges may be permitted in any required yard or along the edge of
any yard, subject to the clear-vision area requirements of subsection 405.07 (D).
[Last amended 7/9/98, Ord. 648]
Before a dwelling may be established on any parcel as provided in this section, the
parcel shall have a legal, safe and passable means of access by abutting at least twenty
(20) feet either directly upon a public road, or by a private easement which is at lease
thirty (30) feet in width for its entire length and which also abuts upon a public road
for at least thirty (30) feet. Nothing in this Section shall be construed to vary or waive
the requirements for creation of new access contained in any Land
Division Ordinance legally adopted by Yamhill County.
- Clear-Vision Areas
A clear-vision area shall be maintained on the corner of any parcel at the intersection
of any two of the following: County roads, public roads, private roads serving four or
more parcels, and railroads. A clear-vision area shall contain no sight-obscuring
structures or plantings exceeding thirty (30) inches in heights within a triangle formed
by the lot corners nearest the intersection, and the two points twenty (20) feet from this
corner as measured along the parcel lines adjacent to the intersecting rights-or-way.
Trees exceeding this height may be located such that their branches extend into this
triangle, provided they are maintained to allow at least twelve (12) feet of visual
clearance within the triangle below the lowest hanging branches.
- The maximum building height for any dwelling shall be thirty-five (35) feet;
- The maximum building height for all other structures shall be forty-five (45) feet; and
- Appurtenances usually required to be placed above the roof level and not intended
for human occupancy such as spires, belfries, cupolas, antennas. water tanks, ventilators,
chimneys, and wind generators are not subject to the height limitations of this Ordinance.
- Occupancy of Recreational Vehicles
One (1) recreational vehicle shall be permitted to be parked on any parcel in
conjunction with a principal dwelling, and may be used for the temporary accommodation of
guests for a period of up to 30 days total in any year. In no case shall such any
recreational vehicle be used as a principal dwelling or rented unless and until the
necessary permits have been obtained. [Last amended 7/9/98, Ord. 648]
- Off-street Parking
Off-street parking and loading requirements for any use provided for in the PRO
District shall be as provided in Section 1007.
Return to the top of the document
Zoning Table of Contents
Main Planning Page